Strengthens the biceps muscle at the front of your upper arm, which will help with picking up heavy things, carrying shopping and making the bed.
Start with ten gentle repetitions on each side.
Make this easier
- Perform the exercise without a weighted object.
- Reduce the number of repetitions.
- Reduce the range of motion.
Make this harder
- Use a heavier weighted object.
- Increase the number of repetitions.
- Do the exercise more slowly.
This can be performed with a weighted object such as a bottle of water, hand-held weights, or no weights at all.
With the hands slightly clenched with the thumb on top.
Keep your elbow tucked into your body and raise your hand up slowly towards your shoulder. See if you can touch the shoulder with your thumb.
Return to the starting position in a controlled manner. Don’t lock your elbow.