Mac and veg slices
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
Dairy Free Gluten Free Vegan Vegetarian
Better Health – Recipes – Healthier Families – NHS (www.nhs.uk)
- 100g macaroni
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 pepper, any colour, deseeded and chopped
- 1 small courgette, grated
- 100g frozen peas (or sweetcorn)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons semi-skimmed or 1%-fat milk
- 50g grated reduced-fat cheddar
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- salad, to serve
Per serving (1/4 recipe):
- 1,013kJ / 242kcal
- 15g protein
- 23g carbohydrate of which 3.8g sugars
- 9.1g fat of which 3.3g saturates
- 3.9g fibre
- 0.4g salt
Cook the macaroni in boiling water for 10 to 12 minutes, until just tender. Rinse with cold water to cool it quickly, then drain thoroughly.
You could use cooked potatoes instead of pasta. You will need about 225g, chopped into chunks.
Heat the vegetable oil in a non-stick frying pan and stir-fry the pepper for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the courgette and frozen peas or sweetcorn. Add the macaroni and mix well.
Beat the eggs and milk together, then stir in the reduced-fat cheese and dried herbs. Season with black pepper. Pour into the frying pan and cook over a low heat for 4 to 5 minutes, without stirring, to set the base. Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium-high.
Put the frying pan under the grill and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the surface has set and is golden brown. Serve hot, warm, or cold, cut into wedges – with some salad on the side.
For a packed lunch or picnic, use an insulated container and include a small ice pack to keep the pasta slices cool and fresh.