Increases heart rate, endurance and aerobic fitness when used as part of an aerobic training session. Lifting the leg will strengthen leg muscles and help with balance.
Make this easier
- Slow the pace.
- Complete with support or seated.
- Aim for smaller leg raises initially.
Make this harder
- Complete the exercise free-standing.
- Increase the number of repetitions.
- Increase the intensity (for example, by lifting your legs higher).
Aim to lift the knee to waist height, or as high as is comfortable, then lower your foot back down to the floor.
When bringing the leg down, avoid stomping – lower it with control.
Add in arm movements. Use the opposite arm to leg, if appropriate.