Traffic light omelettes
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 15 mins
Dairy Free Gluten Free Vegan Vegetarian
Better Health – Recipes – Healthier Families – NHS (www.nhs.uk)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 8 eggs
- 4 tablespoons 1%-fat milk
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 795kJ / 190kcal
- 14g protein
- 6g carbohydrate, of which 6g sugars
- 13g fat, of which 3g saturates
- 2g fibre
- 0.4g salt
Heat 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the peppers and spring onions, and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes until soft. Tip them out of the pan into a bowl. Wipe out the pan with kitchen paper. Preheat the grill.
A really good non-stick frying pan is one of the most useful things to have in the kitchen!
Beat the eggs and milk together. Heat a few drops of vegetable oil in the non-stick frying pan and pour in one quarter of the egg mixture. Let it flow over the surface and cook for 1 to 2 minutes to set the base.
Sprinkle a quarter of the pepper mixture evenly over the surface, then grill for 1 to 2 minutes until set. Slide onto a warm plate.
Repeat with the remaining mixture to make 4 omelettes. Serve, seasoned with black pepper.
Serve each omelette with a slice of wholemeal toast for a more filling meal.